On this day of September 19, 2026, I am 80 years old. To this day, I am grateful and blessed because I am here and alive even in the past, I have survived a few crises in my life. One of the crises was in 2010 when I just came back from Taiwan sabbatical leave. I was so sick that at that time, I felt I could not even pass my 66 year old birthday.
Now, here I am. Sixteen years have passed since that crisis, and I have reached what Deepak Chopra said, “The final Chapter of my Life”. A big “80” birthday milestone.
Therefore, on this day, I treasured my days for being alive. Thus, I am really paying attention to how to live my life in my remaining years.
Here is my nonnegotiable daily routine: (1) Exercise everyday. With the membership at WCC, it makes this habit a routine quite easily. On average, I spend 3-4 hours at WCC doing all sorts of physical activities such as cardio, and strength training. I also spend time doing posture and balance exercises. Balance is essential because at my age with an osteoporosis diagnosis, I cannot afford any accidentally fall. (2). Prioritize sleep. Even though I often have difficulties sleeping well all through my life, at least, I need to establish a sleep routine to make it easier to sleep. The routines include going to bed and getting up at almost a fixed time frame and avoiding traveling to places of different time zones. (3) Say no to all processed food; the food that can be shelved forever at room temperature no matter how tempting they are.
Those three healthy habits may help me few more years of being alive. But, there is a more important question. How would you live your life, and why do you want to live a few more years ?
Recently, I have been taking yoga classes at the WCC. At the end of the class session, the teacher always closes the session with a prayer. The prayer says, May the light in my heart help this world for peace and love.
That is it. Why do I want to live a few more years ? Why am I here ?
This is the answer. May the light in my heart help to make this world a better place to live for peace and love.
Music is my passion. My first purpose to live a few more years is to make myself and other people happier through music. This can be done either participating in playing music or contributing in arranging music. Since I moved to Ann Arbor in 2023, I have joined the church choir at FPC. This choir has about 60-70 members with great musicality. Later, I joined 2-3 recorder ensembles in the areas of Ann Arbor. The Saline group practices weekly. The Ann Arbor Recorder Society Recorder group practices monthly. The FPC has a not-quite regular recorder ensemble which practices occasionally for the church services. Probably the most rewarding experiences are arranging Taiwanese music for the recorder ensembles. So far, I have arranged 2 pieces. The Taiwan melody was performed at the Saline Recorder Ensemble concert in May this year. There is a new one, “She is my darling.” is currently rehearsed at Saline Recorder Ensemble. All these activities make me happier; at the same time, making other people happier.
My second passion is to write. I have a blog site which allows me to write and publish. Recently, I realized I have a new follower who is my gym friend at WCC. Many times when he sees me at the gym, he asks me ‘Have you written and published a new article yet? Every time, when I write and publish new articles in the blog, I choose my words carefully, always remembering Buddaha’s teaching on ‘words’. This is what Buddha said,
“ Are those words true ?
Are they spoken or written in a kind way ?
Are they necessary to be written or spoken? “
My third passion is water color painting. I have been learning water color from Tricia Matthew for many years and have learned a lot from her. It is hard work. But, once the work is finished, the reward is quite gratifying. I decorate my room with my paintings. I feel quite comfortable when I am alone in my room surrounded by my paintings. Additionally, I made cards out of some of my paintings, and use them as all purpose cards, (birthday, greeting, or get well). My friends who received those cards feel more personal with those cards than regular cards sold in the store. In the end, everyone is happy; me and my friends.
Recently, I get into a venture of promoting Taiwanese language. This is not a passion, but a sense of urgency and obligation. I belong to a tiny Taiwanese Community Church in Ann Arbor. Although the sermon is delivered in Taiwanese, many young Taiwanese in the congregation do not know how to speak Taiwanese. After more than a century of colonial rules, the parents of those young Taiwanese students no longer speak Taiwanese at home; let alone speaking Taiwanese at each other or speak Taiwanese at the Taiwanese community. Not long ago, I started with a line group devoting reading Taiwanese poetry every week,
Will it be successful? I don’t know. But at least, I try.
Now, I want to say my final words for this reflection essay. At the age of 80 years old, anything can happen from now on. Each day is a day of gratitude and celebration. Just like the phrase, “ One Day More” in the Le Miserable musical show, everyday is a day of being alive.
Here is the Bible phrase that I am using now to conclude my essay.
John 13: 3. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God;
4. so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
This Bible phrase shares the same thought as the final prayer of the yoga class session.
May the light in my heart help this world a better place tomorrow for peace and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment